Weight & Fat Loss Blog
Hi! I'm Jenna Nelson, LMT and Weight Loss Counselor. When I went to college in a short period of time I gained over 20 pounds. When that happened, I felt very disappointed. But this year I lost all that weight that I put on!
I love eating but I don't like starving or saying "no" to yummy foods! This program is designed to help you burn your fat instead of muscle and will keep you satisfied. On this porgram, I actually look forward to what new healthy recipes I can create. When I tested this program, I was already at my goal weight, but I just wanted to see how effective it was. In one week I lost 6 pounds and 3 inches and I didn't even need to loose any! In that short week, I saw noticeable differences in my stomach and hip area - they became a lot slimmer!
After you answer a health questionnaire, Dr. Nelson (the doctor that I work for) will put together your personalized weight loss eating program!
I know you will be successful on my program, I will encourage you and be there for you along the way. I know how frustrating and depressing it can be when you cannot get off the extra weight, so I really want you to do it!
This blog is a place for sharing your stories, tips, recipes, and pictures while on the program. I designed this to be an encouraging community to help each other through this journey to better health!
Please contact me at [email protected] (put "Jenna" in the subject line) to get started on this Doctor Advised Weight Loss program!
"In wanting to take better care of myself, I enrolled in Jenna’s food counseling program. I am amazed at how much improved my moods are, and shocked that a large area of eczema on my leg is GONE. I credit the combination of diet change, nutritional supplements, and footbaths to this success. I have also lost some weight and inches already! Thank You, Abundant Life Wellness!"
- Judith M. West Virginia
I started this weight loss journey because I was 35 lbs overweight and I just couldn't do it on my own. So when I met with Jenna and she gave me my weight loss program I was excited and determined to follow it to the T. The 1st week was a bit tough because I was really craving sweets, carbs, and sugar. I was able to resist them because I knew I was going to see Jenna at the end of the week. Each week the cravings got less and less. I just finished week 3 and I'm down 10 lbs and wait for it... I am down a total of 17 inches!! It's been amazing so far! I believe I have been able to do so well on this weight loss program because I have accountability by seeing Jenna every week. I believe that has been the key to my success so far! This picture shows me in size 16 jeans and before the diet they fit me perfectly. As you can see in the picture, that I have provided, you can actually see how much weight I have lost so far. I'm swimming in those jeans now and can't even wear those jeans anymore. It's the best feeling ever! If you want to get started, e-mail Jenna at [email protected]!
UPDATE: after week 6, Kathy is down a total of 15 pounds and 28.5 inches!!!! Yay way to go! If you follow this plan properly, it really melts the fat and inches away!
Sometimes do you find yourself thinking, "Gee, I could have packed an amazing meal for my lunch hour at work if Emma didn't spill milk on the floor, Jimmy didn't fall down the stairs and need immediate medical care, and if my husband watered the flowers before I left for work!" Okay, well maybe that exact scenario didn't happen, but something stopped you from packing a great, healthy meal! So Here are some healthy options that you can get on the go at fast food restaurants. (A lot of these require you to bring your own dressing so feel free to make a creamy dressing with a plain Greek yogurt base or oil dressing and add herbs and spices to your liking!):
1. Grilled Market Salad without their dressing. Bring your own healthy oil or vinaigrette dressing to top it off.
2. Asian Chicken Salad without mandrain oranges and substitute grilled chicken for crispy cicken. Again, use your own dressing.
3. Cobb Salad without crispy chicken, substitute grilled chicken. Use your own dressing.
4. Side Salad without crispy chicken, substitute grilled chicken. Again use own dressing.
5. Side - chicken salad cup - put it on a healthy flatbread (flatout) for a great sandwhich.
1. Strawberry Fields Chicken Salad without croutons and bring your own dressing.
2. Asian Cashew Chicken Salad and bring your own dressing.
3. Apple Pecan Chicken Salad, no candied pecans or dried cranberries and bring your own dressing.
4. Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad, substitute grilled chicken for crispy chicken, and no croutons. Bring own dressing.
1. Premium McWrap Grilled Chicken & Bacon without the wrap. Bring your own flatout flatbread (90 calories) to put everything in.
2. Premium McWrap Grilled Chicken Sweet Chili without the wrap, again bring your flatout flatbread (90 calories) to put the sandwhich in.
3. Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with grilled chicken, bring your own dressing.
4. Premium Asian Salad with grilled chicken and your own dressing.
***There are just some rules here about what to avoid:
1. Avoid beans
2. Avoid tortillas --- You can bring a flatout flatbread to use instead!
3. Avoid rice
4. Avoid corn
5. Avoid salad dressing
[I just went there the other day and got a delicious salad with chicken, extra grilled vegetables, mild salsa (dressing substitute), sourcream, and cheese.]
Craving a sweet and salty snack?! This one is for you!
1. Cube a quarter of a yellow delicious or pink lady apple
2. Pull apart 1 babybel cheese
3. Add about 15 cashews or walnuts
4. Melt 5 -10 Ghiradelli dark chocolate semi-sweet chips (70% cacoa) - low in sugar
5. Spread chocolate over top!
6. Sprinkle with unsweetened coconut flakes. Enjoy!!! It's so good!
Autumn Chicken Bake
So the other day my client brought me in a bunch of huge, Snow White sized apples..what do I do?! This!!!
1. Put coconut oil and butter on bottom of large glass pan
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
3. In pan, place Coleman all natural bread chicken fingers (I know it's breaded but low in carbs!)
4. Thinly slice 2 - 3 large apples and put across chicken
5. Put a thin drizzle of honey all across the dish
6. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon
7. Place some walnuts or pecans on top
8. Cover with thinly sliced swiss cheese (or whatever kind you like!)
9. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette
10. Cook for about 45 - 60 minutes or until apples are soft
This pizza will stop your cravings for bad pizza and carbs!
1. Put coconut oil on a glass baking pan large enough for a pizza
2. Lay out a flatout flatbread in the pan (make sure it has 7 carbs or less and 7 grams of fiber or more)
3. Spread 2 T. of organic pasta sauce on the flatbread
4. Sprinkle 1 oz./30 g. of cheddar cheese on top of sauce
5. Put 1-2 cups of peppers/onions/mushrooms or any kind of vegetables you like on pizza
6. Put 2 oz./60 gr. of nitrate free pepperoni, bacon, ham, or any other meat on top of pizza!
7. Preheat oven to 375 to 400 (to make crust crispy) and cook for 10-15 minutes
(Yep, I know what you are thinking - "That eggplant has breading on it!" - I know, I know, but there is very little breading on it and it is low in carbs. The type of eggplant cutlets that you can buy are found in the freezer section of Trader Joes.)
1. Brown eggplant cutlets in the oven
2. Place cheese (I like white American) and organic pasta sauce on the eggplant and melt in the oven for a couple minutes
3. Top with oregano and shake parmasean cheese
4. I cooked a vegetable medley on the side with asparagus, baby zucchini, onions and mushrooms. I topped them with a chili lime seasoning. Enjoy!
Green Power Pizza
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Use a flatout flatbread as the crust
3. Layer the crust with low sugar pasta sauce, shredded low fat cheese, meat of your choice, kale, and mushrooms
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes
Turkey Bacon & Eggs:
1. Heat up the oven to 400 degrees and cook turkey bacon (I like Trader Joe's Peppered Turkey Bacon) for 10 minutes on each side
2. Heat up a frying pan with coconut oil and scramble 2 eggs in it (organic or cage free are best)
3. Add spices into the eggs - basil, oregano, dried tomato, etc.
4. Add smoked gouda cheese (Trader Joe's) into the eggs
5. Remove turkey bacon from oven and combine with eggs. So good!!! (It would be great if you added onions, peppers, or mushrooms into the mix also)
1. Place 6 light babybel in a glass pan that is coated with coconut oil on the bottom
2. Sprinkle oregano and red pepper on top of the cheese
3. Cook on 350 for about 15 minutes or until the right crispiness
1. Use one pound of ground meat (beef, venison, turkey, etc..)
2. Mix ground meat with 1/2 cup of almond meal, 1 egg, 1/4
cup of parmasean and romano cheese blend, 1/2 t. of oregano, 1/4 t. of garlic salt, and any other herbs or spices you desire
3. Place 2 T. of organic pasta sauce (no high fructose corn syrup - we like Three Cheese Sauce from Maket District) on each meatball and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
Pecan Crusted Chicken:
1. Take plain organic chicken breast and lightly dip it into butter
2. In a bowl, mix almond flour (from Trader Joe’s), parmesan cheese, pink salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and chopped pecans
3. Lightly coat the chicken in the mixture
4. Bake chicken at 350 degrees in a covered glass casserole dish for about 45 minutes or until it is deliciously tender
Extra Protein Eggs:
1. Warm up a pan or skillet and melt 2 T. of coconut oil in it
2. Crack open 3 eggs and scramble them. Put in pan on low to medium heat
3. Add 1 – 2 cups of mushrooms (feel free to add other vegetables like scallion onions or peppers!)
4. Add ½ cup natural beef brisket (available at trader joe’s) or any other kind of natural meat
5. Sprinkle with sharp cheddar cheese
Chicken Stir Fry:
1. Preheat a skillet and melt coconut oil in it
2. Place 60-120 grams of skinless, lean chicken chopped up in the pan
3. Stir fry 1/4 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup peppers, 1/4 cup carrots, 1/4 cup onions with chicken
4. Top with Bragg's (brand name) amino acid sauce (healthy soy sauce alternative)
Tasty Herb Chicken:
1. Take 60-120 grams/1-2 ounces of skinless, lean chicken (organic is best)
2. Coat chicken with almond flour, garlic salt, pink salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese
3. Coat glass baking pan with coconut oil and place chicken in it
4. Place chicken in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
5. Serve with raw or steamed stir fry vegetables on the side
1. Grill or pan fry (in coconut oil) skinless chicken or steak (60-120 grams).
2. Clean grape tomatoes (1/2 cup), cucumbers (1/2 cup) and romaine lettuce (2-3 cups).
3. Measure our 2 T. or sour cream and 2 T. of salsa and mix together for a dressing.
4. Place all ingredients in a bowl for a great Mexican chicken salad!
5. If you would like, top your salad with 1 oz. cheese.
Leaf Lettuce Fajitas:
1. Grill or pan fry (in coconut oil) skinless chicken or steak (60-120 grams).
2. Also pan fry onions, peppers, mushrooms, any vegetable (1-2 cups).
3. Clean leaf lettuce and use 4-6 pieces to act as tortillas.
4. Wrap meat and vegetables in leaf lettuce for a delicious fajita.
5. Top with 2 T. sour cream and 1 oz. cheese.
Fresh Summer Roll-Up:
1. Lay out a flatout flatbread (light original or light Italian herb - 9 grams of fiber)
2. Layer lettuce, cheese (low fat), uncured pepperoni (applegate), natural turkey, and any other healthy toppings (lettuce, cucumbers, etc.)
3. Roll up wrap in a hot dog style and cut into little circles
4. Serve with raw, fresh sliced up vegetables.
Sauteed Asparagus, Mushroom, and Onion Chicken:
1. Either grill or pan fry (in extra virgin coconut oil) the 2 lean, plain pieces of chicken (60 grams) until it is cooked completely
2. Now add asparagus, mushrooms, and onions (60 grams) into the pan and sauté with chicken for about 10 minutes (or until your veggies are the right texture for your taste buds!)
3. Remove from pan and sprinkle with pink salt, black pepper, parmesan cheese and squeeze lemon over the dish
4. Viola! Your taste buds will thank you!
Chicken Gouda Quesadilla
1. Heat up a skillet with coconut oil
2. Place a flatout flatbread in the pan and melt gouda cheese (I like Trader Joe's smoked gouda cheese!) on the bread
3. Place 3 grilled chicken tenders in the wrap
4. Add any vegetables as a topping (mushrooms, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.)
5. Feel free to add 1 T. of sour cream too!
6. Fold in half and enjoy!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Put coconut oil in a glass pan and put a flatbread (flatout) in the pan for 5 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other side to make the crust crispy (not soggy)
3. Spread tomato sauce, mozzerella cheese, asparagus, peppers, and salami (natural choice brand - no perservatives. Salami tastes like pepperoni!) on flatbread and place back in oven for about 10 minutes
4. Top with shake parmasean cheese, oregano, and red pepper flakes
1. In a skillet, stir fry sausage or turkey bacon, peppers, onions, and mushrooms (or any vegetables you would like) in coconut oil for about 10 minutes, then drain
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3. Grease a 12 muffin pan with coconut oil (or use muffin liners)
4. Mix 6 eggs, stir fry vegetables and meat, and ¼ cup cheddar cheese together
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans (makes about 9 large egg muffins or 18 small egg muffins)
6. Cook in oven for about 20 – 25 minutes
Almond Butter Apple Cinnamon Yogurt:
1. Cut up apple (honeycrisp or pink lady are my favorite) into small squares
2. Mix ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of almond butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, apples, and 4 drops of liquid stevia (or ½ packet of powder stevia) together
Turkey Bacon Feta Chicken Salad:
1. Cook turkey bacon (oscar meyer has a natural one) & grilled chicken (frozen grilled chicken strips - pre-cooked - natural) in the oven under the low broil for about 10 - 15 minutes.
2. Clean 1-2 cups of organic spring mix
3. Top salad with turkey bacon, chicken, cucumbers, feta cheese, nuts/seeds, tomatoes and a healthy dressing!
Chicken Sausage Roll Up:
1. Spread 1 T. of hummus on your 90 calorie flat out bread (I used tomato basil hummus)
2. Top with 2 scrambled eggs, sauteed vegetables (green onions, mushrooms, peppers), low fat cheese, and chicken sausage (available at Trader Joe's - so good!)
3. Roll up and enjoy! If you want the shell to be crispy, fry it in coconut oil before you put any toppings on it.
Terriyaki Chicken & Cauliflower:
1. In a pan, stir fry grilled chicken (I use trader joe's teriyaki chicken) & grilled cauliflower (trader joe's too) in Bragg's Amino acid - Easy! Enjoy!
Natural Homemade Salad Dressing:
Did you know that salad dressings (even most organic ones) are full of ingredients that are detrimental to your thyroid? Ingredients like soybean oil & canola oil are no good for you! So here is a natural and delicious salad dressing recipe.
1. Mix together well or mix in blender to make really smooth
-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
-1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tbsp honey
-1/2 packet stevia
-1/4 cup chopped parsley
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp pink salt
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp black pepper
Healthy Deviled Eggs:
1. Hard boil 6 eggs
2. Cut eggs in half and put egg yolks in a mixing bowl
3. Mix/mash egg yolks with 1 whole avocado, 1 T. of your choice of spice (cayenne pepper or paprika), 1 T. of pink salt, 1/2 T. of black pepper or any other spices you would like
4. Scoop mixture into the egg halves and refregirate for 30 minutes then enjoy!
Jenna's Favorite Breakfast:
So I wanted to show you all what my typical breakfast is....deliciousness is just one word for it!!! Well, here it is. I have scrambled 2 farm fresh eggs with turkey bacon, babybel cheese, and avocado. Then on the side I am eating a Dr. Praegar's spinach pancake sprinkled with pink salt! (yummm! - you have to get these!)